Sunday, August 24, 2014

Too fat to cosplay? A real issue in the world.

When you're told you're too fat to cosplay

A real Issue For many


I don't know how many times I've come across cosplayers on the web who are full figured and see them being laughed at, made fun of, and told that they shouldn't cosplay just because they are fat.
I decided to interview some curvier cosplayers to get a better idea of what they face in a world of conventions that favor flawless replicas of characters.
Just like the regular world, the cosplay world is a lot of times a world that judges based on weight and size.
Many are made to feel discouraged from playing a certain character because of their size difference.

          I interviewed a public cosplay model who goes by the name Curvy and runs Curvy Cosplay on Facebook. A cosplayer since 2010, She's continued to enjoy her love of what she does, despite some very nasty comments and mean people. 

Me: Have you ever faced negativity on your choices to cosplay certain characters because of being curvier?

C: I have, many inappropriate insults have been thrown my way but I never let them stop me, its
mostly ever been comments about not knowing my appropriate body type or leaving the skinny characters
to the tiny girls but in my opinion they see themselves as curvy based on boobs and butt as to where I believe
a real woman knows about real curves.


Me: Do you feel that you inspire other girls to go for what makes them happy by sharing your 

cosplays?

C: Thats my main goal being a cosplayer, not for the popularity or the likes or for publicity and free photos, I want girls be it small or big curves to feel confident with their body type and to do who ever or whatever makes them happy, I always tell girls that come to me beauty is inside and out but curves keep it all in place.


Me: Has cosplay helped you become a more confident woman?



It has, before I cosplayed I didnt ever take becoming a true woman to serious but cosplaying helped me learn to focus on my natural beauty and helped me take more pride in how i presented and portrayed myself to those I knew closely and even around complete strangers.
source
https://www.facebook.com/CurvyCosplayer


Well, after interviewing C, I must say that I am happy that people like her are out there, sharing what cosplaying is really about. Even if you're not overweight you should NEVER insult or degrade someone who is for doing something that makes them feel happy. One day we will see a better world of cosplay members, and by being kind and non judgemental, we can help make that happen.

Somone's weight, gender, etc. has nothing to do with what cosplay means. Cosplay exists for the person doing it and no one's bad opinions should matter. Grow up confident young girls and guys. We are who we are and cosplay loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment